[Digikam-devel] Future plans : 0.9.2-final and KDE4 port...

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jun 12 15:07:06 BST 2007

Marcel Wiesweg wrote:
> If you look at amarok, they have had about 20 schema revisions.

Yup. Easy upgrading is a must.

> We definitely plan to add more database fields. Adding a table with additional
> information is easy, it becomes more tricky if the change makes the database
> incompatible with previous versions. In this case, the application has to
> detect it and refuse to start.

If possible it may be nicer to enter a "read-only" mode where no changes
were permitted (to data or file) but the application would continue with
a warning to the user about the current state of play. Not sure how easy
this would be to implement so it's maybe not worth the hassle!

Still it would perhaps be nicer for the user should they find themselves
in that situation (I'm thinking ahead to when NFS mounted shares are OK
and users could conceivably login with different DK versions relatively
easily).

Col