[Digikam-devel] Future plans : 0.9.2-final and KDE4 port...

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Tue Jun 12 11:04:23 BST 2007

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Gilles Caulier wrote:

[...]

> This is want mean than DB structure will change in the future. We have
> already a list of new informations to host in DB like :
>
> - Photo informations to perform search of images based on Exif/IPTC,
> - GPS info to perform search of images on a map (imaging a bar where you can
> query something like "i want to find all pictures taken around Paris"),
> - Haar matrix to perform search of duplicate images (
> http://scien.stanford.edu/class/ee368/projects2000/project12/4.html).
> - Editor Actions List to perform non destructive edition of pictures
> (technics used by Nikon NX soft for ex.)
>
> This is a small list of future informations hosted by DB. Others data can be
> add of course and discussion is open about this subject (Arnd...).

There is one important decision about the database:
Will it be possible to easily add additional fields
   - with new digikam releases (eg. 10.1, 10.2, ...)
   - or even by the user
?

Reason: new ideas might require new database fields.
If this has to wait (like for example the GPS stuff right now),
for a change from 0.10 to 0.11, this can delay such additions
for a long time. If this is the case, then
we really should  think very hard about additional fields
for the database right now, to be able to leave it unchanged.

However, if additions are simple and don't break
anything (and this has to be absolutely guaranteed, IMO!),
then only the additional fields needed right now should
be added.

Independent of this it might be a good idea to make a survey
on the users list, what additional fields might be useful -
there might be some cool ideas lurking around!
If you think that this does make sense, I could set up such
an e-mail, and post it on digikam-users.

Just my 2 cents,

Arnd