[Digikam-devel] #images in album/tag list

Luka Renko lure at kubuntu.org
Sun Jan 28 10:33:20 GMT 2007

On Sunday 28. of January 2007 10:11:52 Caulier Gilles wrote:
> Le Samedi 27 Janvier 2007 23:54, Luka Renko a écrit :
> > 2. I would add this only to My Albums and My Tags
> > Not sure if this really makes sense for Tag Filters (sidebar).
>
> well, if we provide this options, to be homogenous, all views where albums
> view are visible (virtual  or physical album) must show these informations.
> This include :
>
> - album tree view,
> - date tree view
> - search tree view
> - tags filtrer tree view
> - tags tree view from left side bar
> - tags tree view on Comments & Tags
>
> Some of piece can be set on/off independetly, but not sure.

Are search and date "albums" also stored in DB? In that case it should not be
problem to implement it, otherwise we would need to count (slow...).

I am fine with left side bar, however I am not sure if it would add a lot of
value to the right side bar (Comments & Tags) as those operate on current
selection/view only. Having count displayed in name makes sense where this
info might lead you to the right location to find right photos, so for me it
makes sense for tree-views which are used for navigation (click on name
brings you the photos) and not for displays where clicking would assign the
tag (like Comments & Tag). On the other hand, it makes sense to have the
number presented in "Tag Filters" right hand sidebar: but it would need to
present number of images with specific tag in current view and not all
images - otherwise this would be misleading and user might click on "Paris
(123)" and would expect 123 images, but would see none.

> Warning, to have study this way in the past, i have delayed it because it's
> can be take a while to do, especially to do all regression test.
>
> In fact, i'm not sure if this is the right way to do it for 0.9.1-beta1.
>
> This is depand of free time available for you. Take a care (:=)))

Yes, 0.9.1 is probably to agressive goal for complete solution. I will just do
it and will see when we can get it in. No urgency. ;-)

> > 3. Make it configurable
> > Since we have images/tags in DB, I will just perform additional "select
> > count()" statements to retreive appropriate numbers.
> > This may have some
> > performance penalty for large collections
>
> no, because something like this already exist in curent implementation.
> Look on header of Album icons view. You have this information (:=)))

I have looked in that code, but AFAIR, it uses count() of images in the
widget, therefore it does not need to query database. For new feature, we do
not have this info yet (afaik).

I will probably do this in phases anyway as I would like to receive
review/feedback before final big patch:
1. Albums
2. Tags
3. Dates