[Digikam-devel] How to apply changes in digikams IPTC settings to all tagged photos?

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Tue Jan 23 12:18:19 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 11:24, Caulier Gilles wrote:
> Le mardi 23 janvier 2007 10:02, Daniel Bauer a écrit :
> > On Monday 22 January 2007 21:20, Caulier Gilles wrote:
> > > Hey guy !
> > >
> > > The new Batch tool to sync all pictures metadata with digiKam database
> > > is in svn (:=)))...
> > >
> > > Please test it and give me a feedback.
> >
> > How and what does it sync? Does it...
> > - write all IPTC/EXIF info into the database?
>
> no. this task is dedicaced to another part.
>
> > - or write all infos from the database into IPTC/EXIF?
>
> yes
>
> > - add database content to IPTC/EXIF (or vice versa?)?
>
> yes, from DB to metadata
>
> > - or overwrite the existing?

After a few short tests I see some inconsistency here:

- it *overwrites* IPTC Copyright, Credit, Byline, Byline Title (don't know if
also other fields) with info from database
- it *adds* tags to IPTC keywords

(see my suggestions below)

> > - remove (for example) keywords from IPTC/EXIF if not tagged in database
> > (or vice versa?)?
>
> This must be tested. normally yes. The function is the same than Comments &
> Tags metadata update functions. It just do the same thing but on all albums
> at the same time.

it does *not* remove "untagged keywords"

I tested it like this:
- added tags/keywords to a file
- outside digikam: saved a copy of that file to another directory
- removed the tags/keywords within digikam from that file
- closed digikam, overwrote the file with the previously backed-up one
- opened digikam again
- now the Metadata was here again of course, but the tags were not checked
- run the sync tool - keywords remained untouched in Metadata

So, this is not a "real synchronisation", because there still remain
differences between database contents and metadata...

I think these are very complicated tasks, and this is why I still really,
really think, that the "advanced metadata handling" should be swapped out
completely from the sidebar options, so that they can be left simple and easy
and usable by "everybody", while the complicated stuff will be in a
independend tool. Then this tool can be developped further without changing
the behaviour of digiKam itself. It would also make it much easier to achieve
and maintain a consistent behaviour thruout the sidebars because added
functionalities in the "advanced tool" don't have to be in the sidebars too
and they can be left untouched even if fantastic new options are added to
the "advanced tools" in future.

- - - - - - -

For the sync tool, I would suggest some options that the user can choose from
before starting it:

- overwrite Metadata with the values, that are set in digiKam settings (like
Copyright etc.)
- OR leave these Metadata unchanged

- overwrite keywords in Metadata with tags from database (which also means,
keywords will be removed/overwritten with empty space when there are no tags)
-- OR add tags to existing keywords (as it does now)

Then, when choosing "overwrite mode" for both options there will be a
complete, real synchronisation between database and metadata. On the other
hand the user can decide to leave some inconsistency if this better suits
his/her needs.

If it's possible, I'd also wish an option:
- apply to all images in all albums (as is)
- only to actually displayed album
- eventually: only to selected images

- - - - - - -

during these tests I also (re-)found some other stuff, don't know if already
mentioned in bugs/wishes:

- when a file is copied into an album folder and that file contains Metadata
keywords that do not exist as tags yet, then digiKam creates tags for these
keywords, but the tags are not checked
- if you then check those tags, the keywords get duplicated
(this also happens with the new sync tool, because it adds tags to the
Metadata even if they same tags already exist as keywords - could be solved
with the "overwrite"-option suggested above)

- when Metadata is changed by applying/removing a tag in the Comments/Tags
sidebar and you then open the Metadata sidebar you still see the old,
unchanged Metadata. The Metadata display is only updated after clicking in
another image and back again. This is confusing, because actually the
Metadata *has* been changed, but when you look at it, you think it remained
unchanged.

- When deleting a tag in the Comments/Tags sidebar the sidebar gets greyed out
and remains greyed out even if you click into it. You have to click in the
album preview again (like select the already selected picture again).

Sorry for the long letter, tried to be as short as I can ;-)

Daniel
Madagascar special: http://www.sanic.ch