[Digikam-devel] How to apply changes in digikams IPTC settings to all tagged photos?

Fabien fabien.ubuntu at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 13:23:49 GMT 2007

Hello,

Rainer Krienke wrote:

> I recently turned digikams Metadata setting the option "save tags to IPTC" on.
> Then I wondered if there is any option in digikam that helps me to save all
> the tags already set before this option was turned on als IPTC tags into the
> image files?
>
> Else the images metadata will become kind of inconsitent since newer files
> will have IPTC tags set that represent digikam tags other older images  will
> not.

Before there's the batch tool to do that, somebody suggested a trick to
do that :
<http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/digikam_lets_you_take_your_tags_with_you>

<<
It doesn't appear as if a batch processing mode exists to automatically
update the existing tags, however, I discovered a simple workaround that
will do it for you.

Step 1: Create a new tag called "temp". You can do this be selecting
Comments/Tags from the right sidebar, then right-clicking in the My Tags
section. An image must be selected for the menu to appear.

Step 2: Select Tag Filters from the right sidebar and check all of the
tags except "temp". This will only select pictures that already have a tag.

Step 3: Select all images. Right-click on one of them and pick "temp"
from the Assign Tag menu. This step will add all assigned tags each
file's IPTC data. With a large number of photos it could take a while
for everything to complete.

Step 4: Cleanup. Repeat the previous step by selecting all images, but
this time pick "temp" from the Remove Tag menu. Now you can delete the
"temp" tag and you are done.

Note: I never tested this trick myself :)
Use at your own risk...

--
Fabien