[Digikam-devel] "Apply" button in right side bar

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Sun Jan 21 19:08:31 GMT 2007

Le Samedi 20 Janvier 2007 21:15, Marcel Wiesweg a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> there were some complaints about the Apply button in the Comments/Tags
> sidebar. These included:
> - users assume that the changes are applied only if the button is pressed,
> and not as well when moving to the next image
> - when editing multiple pictures, inadvertent changes can easily affect
> many pictures. So here it is even more important to make clear when changes
> are applied.
>
> I would like to add that implementing an undo feature is not trivial.

agree.

> My suggestions:
>
> 1) Single selection
> Changes are applied immediately, visible after each keystroke in main view.
> (Only database, DMetadata is slow, update still only on selection change)
> The Apply button is not needed.

Warning, i have add the Apply button because some user have ping me because
the behaviours is obscur with Comments & Tags.

Of course, for me, without Apply button is fine, but i'm programmer (:=)))...
User viewpoint can be different.

> 2) Multiple selection
> At the very first change, the user is asked if he wants to auto-apply
> changes in multiple selection. This option can be changed from the menu on
> the "More" button.
> 	a) Auto-apply
> 		Changes are applied on selection change
> 	b) No auto-apply
> 		The "Apply" button is shown. Changes are applied
> 		only if the button is pressed.
> 		On selection change with changes, a message box
> 		asks if changes shall be applied.

b) This is fine for me .The message box can have a 'Do not ask this warning to
the future..." checkbox.

The Usability is stuff can be difficult to judge. I recomend you to have more
feedback using user mailing list if there is more message in this thread.

Other tip is to wait the first beta1 when a first feedback will come.