[Digikam-devel] image editor and print option (patch)

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Sun Jan 7 08:50:01 GMT 2007

Le vendredi 29 décembre 2006 22:08, Angelo Naselli a écrit :
> Hi,
> first of all I'd like to introduce myself, as some of you know
> I'm kipi's project coordinator and an occasional developer.
> Since I like the way gwenview prints photos (maybe just
> because I did, but I did because i'd have liked to have it :) )
> I decided to port that code here. I mean there are two ways
> to print, either using kipi-plugins or using image editor.
> The first one is the best, but sometime i like to print out an
> image just because i'm watching it. If I use gwenview the code
> allows it and manages two options that are missed here e.g.
> keep ratio and alignment. Well there is something more but i've
> spent a lot of time to insert gui objects, I'm not very good at it
> and i prefer to use ui files and designer (Gilles I know you don't,
> but it's very easy for occasional contributors), so the code is still
> in gwenview.

Well, i hate personally to use QTdesigner for Qt 3.x and i hope than the Qt4
stuff will improve this way.

In general, i use too Visual C++ at work and i have the same problem.

In fact i think than the code generated by a GUI tool is bad, unoptimized and
unreadable.

Personally i prefer to do all from scratch. Yes i take more time, but it not
very complicated to do it with QT, especially for simple GUI (it not the same
think about Visual C++). The code is more optimized and you understand all.
It's more easy to debug.

Of course, the tool is really powerfull to build a very complicated GUI with a
lots of options, widgets, etc...

This is my viewpoint (:=))). This cannot be representative of all Qt
developpers of course.

I would to have the viewpoint of Marcel about this point (:=))...

> Just want to recall the B&W option I cannot believe someone
> ever used it, two colors, better using grayscale,

Heu B&W == greyscale ???

> but that is a driver
> option, so no need to add it ;)

Right. On the past (digikam 0.7.x) i have backported the print interface from
kuickshow and refactorized it (the B&W stuff come from kuickshow in fact).
I'm sure than it can be optimized.

> (even if the preview is not good)
> IIRC the so called "fit to page" option works if an image has to
> be enlarge and not shrinked... And all of that is in gwenview
> code.

Warning Angelo. digikam print interface use the Color mangement stuff to
optimize printing (if it enable of course). It the same thing than Krita.
Gwenview do not have a Color management interface. Take a care to unbreak
something when you port this code.

> Anyway the attached patch is something that improve the print function.
> Hope you'll like it and commit (i can do it if you like).

I really appreciate all contributions, epecially about printing stuff...

Please use B.K.O instead ML to post patch. It more easy to manage old messages
in B.K.O instead ML, because mail box are generaly spamed. It not the case of
B.K.O. Create a new file if necessary...

I will study you patch today...