[Digikam-devel] new KIPI plugin (image viewer)

Markus Leuthold kusi at forum.titlis.org
Wed Jan 3 00:04:25 GMT 2007

Hello all

While digikam is a great program for managing your photo library, it doesn't
exactly fit my need for presenting images in fullscreen-mode. My plugin,
downloadable here (http://titlis.org/kipi_imageviewer.tar.gz), does:

- zooming (the zoom center is your mouse pointer and not just the center
  of the screen)
- rotation (as described in bug #120501)
- support for OpenGL ARB_texture_rectangle extension
- faster than digikams fullscreen mode
- image preloading
- correct display for 1680x1050 LCD's (not the case with digikam 0.9.0)
- mousewheel support for either zooming or changing images

The plugin does not yet
- respect image rotations in the EXIF header
- slideshow
- icons, dialogs, etc...

I'll fix those issues soon. I'm aware of the fact that as soon as the
slideshow is implemented, it's quite a code duplication of the existing
slideshow KIPI code. I tried to reuse this code, but I finally changed the
datastructure which fits my needs better. But I'll reuse the transition
effects of the slideshow plugin.

since I load the raw image into texture ram, you need quite alot of video mem.
E.g a 5mp image takes 20mb in the texture ram. So don't try to run this
plugin with less than 32mb video ram.

In parallel, I develop a standalone version with the same codebase that will
be similar to Kuickshow, which is still the fastest viewer I know of. It will
be much more lightweight than Gwenview.

Kusi