[Digikam-devel] Encoding for IPTC comments

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Wed Feb 7 13:24:06 GMT 2007

Le mercredi 7 février 2007 12:37, vous avez écrit :
> Hi Gilles,
> Thanks for your reply. I didn't realize the code was refactored since
> 0.9.0 release. I will get the latest from SVN and adapt my patch to
> the new code.
>
> Regarding the discussion in bug #132244. I tried setting
> Iptc.Envelope.CharacterSet with exiv2 command-line utility and then
> saving Iptc.Application2.Caption in UTF8 as described there.

yes, this tag need to be set accordinly to the charset encoding used. I
recommend to provide 2 charset (i have not yet checked your patch) :

- ASSCI
- UTF8

With the last one, all language will be supported.

> I've
> found that both Photoshop and IrfanView didn't decode UTF and showed
> it as is (unreadable), while Picasa simply didn't recognize the
> presence of caption at all. I also saw that Picasa doesn't set
> Iptc.Envelope.CharacterSet tag.

yes, i have suspected this problem, reading some web site about this subject.

> Therefore I think my approach is
> orthogonal to what is discussed there and still would be a good
> feature.

yes, it's look fine for me. but the enveloppe tag need to be set accordinly.

> I will get back to you once I update the patch to the latest code.

fine for me. Please post it in the bugzilla file #132244. It's better than
mailling list (this one is limited to attachment size)...