[Digikam-devel] video metadata support: req. guidance

Daniel Zuberbühler dani at zubinet.org
Wed Dec 19 09:17:49 GMT 2007

Thanks Gilles and Loïc for your replies.

I decided that first I will try to implement metadata support for the matroska
container format. I belief that avi does not really support metadata. The
most common containers with metadata support are ASF, MP4, Quicktime and VOB.
I think ASF support is out of question because of M$ patents, maybe the same
for Quicktime. I did not yet find useful documentation about metadata in MP4
and VOB.
Matroska on the other hand might not be as widespread as the others at the
moment, but it officially supports metadata and many tags are standardized
and documented.
A matroska container can contain any audio-/videostream, so maybe it could be
an option to just pack any video file without metadata support in a matroska
container automatically.
Anyway support for other containers can be added later..

I did not have more time yet than for a quick glance at the code and I will be
away from this friday for 2.5 weeks (will be trying out my new gadget, the
gps logger, and the geotagging capabilities of digikam). Afterwards I will
have all the more reason to get video metadata implemented soon ;)

wish you guys pleasant christmas holydays and a happy new year!

Daniel

On Friday, 14. December 2007, Loïc Brarda wrote:
> 2007/12/14, Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>:

> > > The KFileMetaInfo KDE Class
> >
> > (http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/3.4-api/kio/html/classKFi
> >leMetaInfo.html#_details )
> >
> > > would probably do most of the job.
> > > Function DMetadata::loadUsingDcraw will show how to set the fields.
> >
> > Sure...
> >
> > But the problem is how to decript the metadata content provided by
> > KFileMetaInfo, especialy to get the field that we need...
> >
> > Like you can see, KFileMetaInfo class API doc do not help in this way...
> >
> > Gilles
>
> Yes. The source code from the plugins themselves tells what needs to
> be known
> (http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/kdemultimedia/kfile-plugins/).
>
> Cheers,
>   Loïc