[Digikam-devel] video metadata support: req. guidance

Daniel Zuberbühler dani at zubinet.org
Thu Dec 13 17:08:35 GMT 2007

Hello everyone!

I use digikam since a long time for all my pictures, and in general I'm quite
happy with the direction of development. Digikam is IMHO by far the best
opensource photo management software. Thanks a lot!

Lately I started taking more and more videoclips with my digicam. I manage the
clips together with the pictures, but here digikam shows still some
weaknesses. The biggest problem for me is that metadata like capture date or
associated digikam tags are not stored in the video files and consequently
can get lost. Especially the missing capture date can be very annoying
because the chronological order of the videos gets lost.

So I decided to look for a solution. When I download the clips from my camera,
I convert them to mpeg4/mp3/avi. Additionally I saved the capture date (the
file timestamp) in the comment tag of the avi file. Of course digikam is not
aware of this, but at least I will still be able to extract the information
when digikam supports video metatags in a future stage.

Are there any plans to support video file metatags or is even someone
implementing it already?
If not, I would be willing to contribute, if someone gives me a starting point
and some guidance.

Daniel