[Digikam-devel] What do we want to store in the database?

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Fri Aug 31 18:25:16 BST 2007

> > > Maybe this could be realized by Tags getting an additional attribute
> > > (visible/hidden)? This might be even more flexible?
> >
> > If you do it with tags you have the problem of i18n and typos, what if I
> > type "hiden" or "caché" (hidden in French)...
> > What happens if I tag a picture using the word "hidden treasure" ...
> > Obviously the user interface should hide hidden photos. Having the user
> > interface depends on tags seems to me to be not a good idea.
>
> Sorry, I wasn't clear enough - I was thinking of an additional
> boolean flag (not a string), associated with each tag.

Are you talking about hiding the _tag_ or the _image_?
I think this is confused here.

- Hiding images:
 There are reason to hide an image if e.g. there is an edited version and the
original is hidden. The easy solution is one boolean flag. Hiding an image in
one context (tag) and not in another is complex, just do the combinatorics.

- Hiding tags:
I understand there is some interest that not all tags are included when tags
are written to metadata. I am CC'ing Daniel Bauer here who has in the past
had similar interest.
But IMO it is not property of the tag if it is written but of the context, so
a "metadata writing context" has to know which tags it writes. This is not a
db schema issue then.