[Digikam-devel] What do we want to store in the database?

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Fri Aug 31 15:55:54 BST 2007

> Dnia środa 29 sierpień 2007, Marcel Wiesweg napisał:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It is a long-planned task for the next release to store more information
> > than currently in the database.
> > We are currently collecting which fields exactly we want to add.
> >
> > To qualify for inclusion, IMO a field should fulfill one of these two
> > criteria:
> > - the field can be of interest in connection with the image it belongs
> > to - searching for the field is a considerable feature
> > AND this criterion:
> > - the information is usually available for images in a common usage
> > pattern of digikam
>
> I think we can split all data about image in 3 parts:
>
> - information about file
> - information about image ("hardware")
> - metadata, here I think the best choice (as industry standard) is "IPTC
>   Core"
>
> > Currently I have these fields on my list:
> >
> > - comment
> > - rating
> > - creation date
> > - modification date
> > - size ( dimensions in pixels)
> > - color depth (8, 16)
> > - color model (RGB, CMYK, ...)
>
> - If px size is included why not weight (size in KB/MB)? I know it can
>   be read from filesystem but putting info in db could make some queries
>   faster

Yes I think about it.
It comes together with modification date. Both need to be updated after edits.
Makes sense.

> - all path related things (Album path, name of file)

That was implied ;-)

> > - make of the camera
> > - model of the camera
> > - aperture
> > - focal length
> > - focalLength as for 35mm film
> > - exposure time
> > - exposureMode
> > - exposureProgram
> > - sensitivity
> > - flash
> > - whiteBalance
> > - orientation
>
> - metering mode
> - focus mode
> - file number (although it can have different formats so its usefulness
>   can be questionable)

Are these available from libkexiv2?
Will someone want to search for the file number, will it ever be displayed in
the "Properties" sidebar tab (or only in the metadata tab?)

> Big question is handling of metadata. I'd like to see whole IPTC Core
> put into database... For fast querying of those items and making it
> independent of actual images.

How many fields does that make?

> m.
>
> ps. Disclaimer: I work in photo department of big museum in Poland
>     and my primary responsibility is dealing with management of
>     digital photographs and digital versions of analog materials.
>     Usually my comments, wishes, etc. are biased from that
>     perspective.

This is very much justified.