[Digikam-devel] What do we want to store in the database?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Aug 30 09:42:44 BST 2007

Colin Guthrie wrote:
> And another new one for you:
> - key/value pairs
>
> Some form of generic key/value pair storage system for every image,
> album and tag. This would be to allow 3rd party plugins via kipi store
> important information/configuration paramaters.

Reading some other comments on this thread I'm beginning to like a
key/value system over a kconfig one.

We've already mentioned two specific flags - "backup" and "hidden" that
are suggested as additions to the database. Can we just use a more
flexible solution for this that would not require the database schema to
change?

e.g. what if key names, by convension, were namespaced:

 * digikam.backup = ".mypic.jpg.orig"
 * hostapp.hidden = "true"
 * kipi.sync.sink = "Colin's Gallery 2"

etc.

Would that be sensible? Would mean that extra simple values could be
added on in the future without any schema changes provided the utility
SQL generation code was written correctly.

Just an idle thought.

Col