[Digikam-devel] What do we want to store in the database?

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Wed Aug 29 20:54:43 BST 2007

Hi,

It is a long-planned task for the next release to store more information than
currently in the database.
We are currently collecting which fields exactly we want to add.

To qualify for inclusion, IMO a field should fulfill one of these two
criteria:
- the field can be of interest in connection with the image it belongs to
- searching for the field is a considerable feature
AND this criterion:
- the information is usually available for images in a common usage pattern of
digikam

Currently I have these fields on my list:

- comment
- rating
- creation date
- modification date
- size ( dimensions in pixels)
- color depth (8, 16)
- color model (RGB, CMYK, ...)

- make of the camera
- model of the camera
- aperture
- focal length
- focalLength as for 35mm film
- exposure time
- exposureMode
- exposureProgram
- sensitivity
- flash
- whiteBalance
- orientation

- GPS:
 - latitude
 - longitude
 - altitude

- similarity searching with a Haar-like algorithm matrix

Not included is compression, as no real information for this is availabe from
the low-level libs for most image formats (nothing for jpeg, nothing for png)

There was a discussion about multiple comments; what is the status about this?

Do we want to store make/model as strings for each entry, or use a dedicated
table "Cameras"?

If you have remarks and additions, now is the time!

Marcel