[Digikam-devel] KDE4 compile problems, Arrangement of Icons in main view

Thomas Thrainer tom_t at gmx.at
Sat Aug 18 16:18:55 BST 2007

Hi,

I tried built recently KDE4 in order to try digikam's KDE4 port, but I
encountered a couple of difficulties. Mainly, the "CMakeLists.txt" file in
extragear/graphics checks for a couple of packages (like gphoto2), but
doesn't warn if if fails to find it. Because there are warnings for other
packages (like kexiv2 or kdcraw), it took me some time to figure out why
cmake refused to build digikam.

Once I have resolved this issue, I am really impressed by the new digikam,
it's really awesome.

But there is a small issue I'm always coming accross since I use digikam:
I have quite a small screen, and digikam leaves a lot of space bedween
thumbnails and their borders, and bedween two such icons.
So I have set up a patch, which gets these two values out of the configuration
file (and sets them initially to the old values).
So far I have not included controlls in the configuration dialog, as I wanted
to hear other opinions about making these values changeable. I'm completely
new to writing patches for digikam (up to now I just used it), so please be
patient with me ;-).

One issue I came accross while tightening the border around a thumbnail was,
that it's now quite hard to just select an image, without accidently clicking
on it (which shows a preview of the image in my setup). So I added a third
option for the click-action, which is just "do nothing" on click.

Another point was, that the information below the images no more fits nicely
in the small boxes. So an additional thing was, that I changed the
text "created" or "modified" next to their dates, so that they only get
displayed, if the other one is displayed as well. My motivation was, that
when a user only wants to see the creation date, he don't wants to see the
text "created" below every image. In contrast, if he wants to see the
creation and modification date, the strings are prepended.

What do you think about these changes? If you like my idea, I could add two
sliders in the configuration dialog to make the distances configurable by the
user.

Cheers,
Thomas

PS.: The original reason why I looked at the digikam sources was, that I
missed a feature I like very much: a Timeline. Is there any work in progress?
If not, could you point me to some resources where I could look at in order
to implement a timeline? Is there maybe already a concept how a timeline in
digikam should look like?