[Digikam-devel] excluding files from database?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 19:13:09 BST 2007

2007/4/30, Marcel Wiesweg <marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de>:

> > > Yes sure it can be done. I will try to find an elegant solution...
> >
> > Just wondering: couldn't one just completely ignore files
> > whose (lower-case) extension is not included in any of
> > the listed Mime Types?
> > This would be possible already now and imply no change
> > in the database.
> >
> > Only for files which are already in the database
> > (and not listed in the Mime Types) it would mean that
> > they just stay in the database
> > (which would be no real problem, I think ...)
> >
> > Maybe one could write a simple clean-up script
> > to remove them from the data-base
> > (if the above makes sense I could give this a try;
> > it shouldn't be really difficult ...)
>
> In the current situation, any file is inserted in the DB, and only when
> reading from the db, files are filtered by filename.
> It is of course easy to do the filtering when inserting into the DB. After
> the
> initial scanning at startup, new files will be added and files which do no
> longer belong to the mime type list are removed. This also solves the
> problem
> with wrong album high/low/mean dates.
>
> I see one major problem here:
> A user might by chance or misunderstanding remove e.g. ".jpg" from the
> mimetype list. Suddely all his photos are gone, which is no problem they
> can
> be rescanned. But all tags and ratings are lost!! (unless written to file
> -
> assume it is not).
>
> We need to prevent this.
> One possibility is a hardcoded list of image formats that are supported. I
> cannot see any indication for removing .jpg from the mime type list.
> Hm difficult. A positive list of added formats, a negative list? Or keep
> it as
> it is, develop another approach?

Right Marcel. And this problem is not relevant of JPEG files only. RAW files
for example can be tagged intensivly. For example i have an huge tagged
collection of MRW files on my main computer...

Why not to ping users with a confirm dialog when the users change something
in type mime dialog ?

About mimie type stuff, i have found a problem with cameragui when a new
file typemime is detected, for ex., when you download an unregistered
video file type in album collection, the mime type will always set
automaticly in _Image_ mime type list. Nothing is ask to user about how to
register the new mime type (image, video, audio, or RAW).