[Digikam-devel] New libkexiv2 0.1.2 - Not ABI compatible

Mark Purcell msp at debian.org
Fri Apr 27 00:57:15 BST 2007

Angelo,

Sorry I should of checked this during your testing phase.

However I believe that libkexiv2 0.1.2 is not ABI compatible with 0.1.1 due to
the API changes.

For example, this causes digikam to crash due to the lack of ABI compatibility:

digikam: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libdigikam.so.0: undefined symbol: _ZN11KExiv2Iface6KExiv215getImagePreviewER6QImage

mark at d620:~$ nm -D /usr/lib/libkexiv2.so.0.1.0 | grep getImagePreview
00014ef0 T _ZNK11KExiv2Iface6KExiv215getImagePreviewER6QImage
mark at d620:~$ nm -D /usr/lib/libkexiv2.so.0.0.2 | grep getImagePreview
00008b10 T _ZN11KExiv2Iface6KExiv215getImagePreviewER6QImage

In this case upstream should bump the SONAME for the libkexiv2 library, which means that
applications such as digikam will not try and attempt to use a ABI incompatible library.

I believe normal practice is to bump LT_VERSION in configure when binary compatibility changes,
but I'm unsure how this works with KDE libraries.

Mark