[Digikam-devel] HDphoto support using porting kit from M$...

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 13:34:08 CEST 2007

Hi all,

If you following the photograhy world news, you have certainly seen than M$
have created since one year a new file format named HDPhoto...

The picture file is based on TIFF. It support Exif/IPTC/XMP/ICC profiles.
This file format is supported by default into M$ Vista and the future Adobe
Photoshop CS3.

M$ provide a porting kit witch can be compiled under Linux !

And yes it compile fine here. I have just fixed one line in a C file (:=)))
and moved the Makefile at the right place. The kit provide the shared lib
raries to encode/decode/read metadata from HDPhoto files, and 2 command line
tools like backend of libraries...

Of course, this porting kit license is special (:=))). Achim i promise you
some long white night to read the M$ EULA. Without to have read the paper,
i'm sure it not compatible as well with open-source world (it's not GPL/BSD
like)... But i recommend to read the wikipedia page before to take too fast
conclusion :

More informations about HDPhoto can be found here :

My personnal tarball fixed to compile under linux is here :

Uncompress the tarball, go to HDPhoto folder, and start "make all"... That

What do you think about ?

Note: Please this is not a troll. Stay constructive (:=)))...