[Digikam-devel] extragear/libs/kipi-plugins/gpssync

Fabien fabien.ubuntu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 14:41:22 BST 2006

First, that's great !

Gilles Caulier wrote:
> SVN commit 587073 by cgilles:
>
> kipi-plugins from trunk : new plugin to synchronize pictures metadata with a GPS data file.
>
> First beta version of GPSSync kipi-plugin is now available for testing.
>
> To use it, you need a GPX xml file generated by your GPS device. The GPX file must be generated to render a wayspoints or trackpoints list.

That's a good point to use gpx as this is the only standard format and
more and more applications can use it...

> If your GPS device do not support GPX, you can generate it using GPSBabel program like this :
>
> # gpsbabel -w -i mapsource -f Driveback.mps -o gpx -F Driveback.gpx
>
> The plugin use the Exif time-stamp to correlate GPS data. Accuracy of 30s is used to diff camera and GPS time-stamp.
 >Of course, the date of your GPS device and your camera must be set
properly (:=))).

 From my own experience, 30s is usually not enough. It would be great to
be able to change it manually.
When I synchronize my pictures and my gps track, I use a 2 minutes
delay, which is enough for me (there is no new point in gpx file when I
stop to take pictures :) ).

Please, also note that times in GPX are GMT, so we also need an offset,
depending on the timezone.

Congratulations for this work !

--
Fabien