[Digikam-devel] How to access the database from a script

Pavol Murin palomurin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 10:48:01 BST 2006

Hello dear Digikam developers,

 I wrote a parser for Apple's XML files recently to import my iTunes
library to Amarok. After I was finished, I had a look at my
depressingly empty Digikam library and decided to give it a try. I
have all my photos in a iPhoto library which I would like to import to
Digikam. If there is something done already, I can save the unnecesary
work. As I didn't find anything, I assume noone has done this yet.

 Sorry for the long introduction, now for the real question:

 I would like to "apply" the data read from the iPhoto to Digikam. How
can I do this best? I have a list of filenames and albums, so one way
is to create the directories from albums and copy them to the Digikam
photos directory. While possible, that is only part of the imported
data. To import tags and other info, I would like to access the
Digikam database and make changes directly there.

 So, is it possible to access the database directly? I would like to
use DCOP for it - I would like to apply the data to Digikam, not to
SQLite. In amarok, there is a DCOP function "query" where you can use
a sql query as parameter. That makes changing the database very easy.
Is there something simillar in Digikam?

 I would like to send queries to digikam, rather than SQLite, as if
the database engine changes, the script stop working.

 Thank you for any hints,

 Regards, muro