[Digikam-devel] JPEG2000 support...

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Wed Nov 29 11:12:35 GMT 2006

Hi all,

Yesterday, i have playing with libjasper API :

http://www.ece.uvic.ca/~mdadams/jasper

... into digiKam core to add support of JPEG2000 file format :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_2000

There is a patch against svn to add a new JPEG2000 image loader :

http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/misc.tarballs/jpeg2000.patch

You need to have libjasper developement package installed on your computer. In
all case, this patch will be applied later than digiKam 0.9.0 final release.

Against JPEG, JPEG2000 features are :

- 16 bits color depth (JPEG : 8 bits only)
- Alpha channel support (JPEG no)
- LossLess compression availalble (JPEG no)
- Better compression ratio than JPEG, especially with high compression.
- Better image quality than JPEG, especially with high compression.

There are some comparaison web sites available, for example this one :

http://www.geocities.com/ee00224/btp2.html

JPEG 2000 support EXIF and XMP metadata. I hope than JPEG2000 can be added to
the picture file format supported by Exiv2 library.

Andreas, can you give me your viewpoint about it ?