[Digikam-devel] JPEG2000 support...
caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Wed Nov 29 11:12:35 GMT 2006
Yesterday, i have playing with libjasper API :
... into digiKam core to add support of JPEG2000 file format :
There is a patch against svn to add a new JPEG2000 image loader :
You need to have libjasper developement package installed on your computer. In
all case, this patch will be applied later than digiKam 0.9.0 final release.
Against JPEG, JPEG2000 features are :
- 16 bits color depth (JPEG : 8 bits only)
- Alpha channel support (JPEG no)
- LossLess compression availalble (JPEG no)
- Better compression ratio than JPEG, especially with high compression.
- Better image quality than JPEG, especially with high compression.
There are some comparaison web sites available, for example this one :
JPEG 2000 support EXIF and XMP metadata. I hope than JPEG2000 can be added to
the picture file format supported by Exiv2 library.
Andreas, can you give me your viewpoint about it ?
More information about the Digikam-devel