[Digikam-devel] Using root Album like a Welcome Page ...

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Fri Nov 24 19:50:42 GMT 2006

On Friday, 24. November 2006 18:57, Caulier Gilles wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Today i have hacked KMail and extracted a little implementation to add a
> welcome page when user select the root folder on "My Album" and "My Tags
> view"

Then we need a 'My date' and 'My search' root node too, for consistency
[AFAIR there is a bugreport to remove 'My album' and 'my tags' for
consistency.]

> Originaly, this folder are always displayed empty and are not managed by
> database. I think this is a good place to show a nice KDE like "Welcome
> page". This sound like more user friendly than an empty page, especially when
> digiKam is started at the first time.
>
> There is a screenshot with this page in action at this url :
>
> http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/Screenshots/digikam0.9.0-welcomepage.png

Nice!  Just s/for KDE desktop//  digikam works with gnome desktop too.

> The patch against svn to test it is here :
>
> http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/misc.tarballs/welcomepage.patch
>
> Paco, Marcel, Achim :
>
> The implementation is very simple and isn't intrusive with digiKam core. All
> page content is implemented like an HTML+CSS+PNG file in digikam/data/about
> folder on svn. Only a simple wrapper is added on digikamview.cpp to check if
> user select root folder, and all the rest is implemented into
> albumwidgetstack.cpp to show the page.
>
> The page content is very simple to update. All strings are in a new method on
> albumwidgetstack.cpp file.
>
> Note : to use this patch, please checkout svn before to get digikam/about/data
> content.
>
> The only little problem with this implementation are i18n. If i commit the
> source code now, new strings will be added to .po files...

As 0.9 final is still at least 3 weeks in the future, it should be no problem
to get the 'go ahead' from kde-i18n-doc.

Achim