[Digikam-devel] raw speed in gqview

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Wed Nov 8 07:36:47 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 08 November 2006 09:35, Arnd Baecker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> before using digikam I used gqview
> (http://gqview.sourceforge.net/) a lot.
> Recent versions have quite a few interesting features,
> in particular it can display the jpeg embedded in several
> camera raw image formats.
> It turns out that this is fast, i.e. noticeably faster than F3 in digikam.
> E.g. for EOS 350D .cr2 files it takes digikam
> a bit above 2s whereas gqview takes around 1s on my machine.
> Moreover, changing back and forth between two images is instantaneous
> (so obviously some caching is used for this.)

This is the same way : dcraw extraction. In fact the method used by both
programs is the same.

The diference can be explained like this :

- digiKam use a kioslave, and this can be slowest than to use a direct loading
on the main app thread.
- digiKam use an embedded dcraw implemention witch is compiled with the same
option than digiKam. If you is in debug, dcraw will do it too.
- digiKam do not use a cache mecanism. This is the real problem than we will
fix in the future.