[Digikam-devel] extragear/graphics/digikam/utilities/cameragui

Sebastian Röder sebastian.roeder at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Mar 27 22:14:38 BST 2006

Hi Gilles,

I have tested the improved cameragui and I like it very much.

In my opinion however the "advanced settings" sidebar would be better on the
right side (first tab, above "Properties"). My reasons:

* This saves some space in the UI
* the Advanced Settings area doesn't look so lost on the right, grouped with
the other sidebar tabs. It better sticks the users eye.
* I can not imagine a situation where a user might want to have two sidebars
open (advanced setting & properties / metainfo).
* It doesn't hurt to have them all three on the right cause properties isn't
pure "info" either - there are also the control buttons (previous, next, ...)
in this tab.
* Having it as first one on the right gives a nice workflow:

1. Adjust the advanced settings if needed (e.g. rename images)
2. Navigate through the images with the buttons in properties (to be honest I
do not know exactly what this tab might be for. Most people will use
keyboard/mouse to browse the images and the infos given there a not very
useful).
3. Decide which files to download based on the metainfo
Conclusion: The whole process can be controled by working with the inferfaces
on the right, working from the top to the bottom (finalizing the download
with the buttons in the lower right corner)

IMPORTANT:

The metainfo tabs are empty on when a photo is selected in the "oberview".
Only when you open the image in the image editor then you get the
exif/makernote infos. It exif/makernote not yet implemented in the cameragui
or is this a bug?

Little UI improvement recommendation: the animated circle in the lower right
corner that show whether the UI is "bussy" is to small for the area with the
digikam banner - there are gray stripes on the top/bottom of the animated
graphic.

OK, that's the end of my little review.