[Digikam-devel] Experimental : image preview on main interface

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Fri Jun 16 20:11:10 BST 2006

Dnia piątek, 16 czerwca 2006 14:48, ord napisał:
> Caulier Gilles wrote:
> > I have make an experimental patch using QWidgetStack to embed into
> > album collection area a new image preview. You toogle between preview
> > and album view using F3.
> >

> > Please, give me a feedback. Thanks in advance
>
> 1- I like it :-)
> 2- quality of jpeg images(6MP) is quite bad on my machine ??? looks like
> a very quick scaling
> 3- having to click again on preview or use shortcut to quit preview
> seems a bit awkward to me. I prefer gthumb like implementation with a
> small "close preview" icon on the toolbar.

Yes, better solution for exiting from preview mode is needed (I didn't
test 2nd ver. of patch).

> 4- prev /next should always be available in preview mode. having to
> click on properties sidebar to see them is not exactly "intuitive" and
> takes up too much screen space. I would put them on the main toolbar
> space.

They could be mistaken with album history buttons. Maybe change of
interface:

- hide album history buttons but allow to assign shortcuts to them, they
  are advanced feature
- move navigation in album buttons to prominent position: nice side
  effect - more similarity in interface between Album view and Image
  Editor.

> 5-  single click should open the preview as default, maybe this
> should be configurable .....

I think it depends on quality of JPEG images preview implementation.
According to poll for about 50% of users this is primary format.

m.