[Digikam-devel] Experimental : image preview on main interface

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Thu Jun 15 15:48:33 BST 2006

On Thursday 15 June 2006 16:37, Laurent Rathle wrote:
> Le Jeudi 15 Juin 2006 00:19, Caulier Gilles a écrit :
> > Please, give me a feedback. Thanks in advance
>
> Previewing raw is effectively much faster with this than with the editor on
> my Athlon XP 3200 / 1 Gb Ram. In the editor, it stops at 10 % and wait for
> at least 30 s to load the rest. New preview is less than one second :-)

Yes, but take a care that preview isn't the RAW image data. It's a JPEG or
TIFF or PPM file embedded into Camera Settings - Exif Makernotes metadata
area. It's used by camera to display image on TV screen (it's more faster to
render a small JPEG than the RAW file).

Note this preview image is also available into JPEG, TIFF and PNG files if
Makernote is available. Preview image extraction will be possible using Exiv2
when :

- Exif data size limitation will be removed into Exiv2 about this metadata.
- MakerNotes will be updated, especially CANON, NIKON, OLYMPUS, etc. Actually,
only my Minolta makernote implementation include preview tags. This is not
very complicated to do using Exiftools tags reference.

Andreas, we have already talking about Exiv2 preview extraction in the past.
Can you give me your viewpoint in this room ?