[Digikam-devel] Experimental : image preview on main interface

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Wed Jun 14 23:19:39 BST 2006

Hi all,

Following some reports from B.K.O and discussions by IRC/mails, some users
would to have a preview mode of current album item, directly in main
interface, without to start an instance of image editor. Image editor take a
while with old computer to just previewing a RAW picture.

I have search a simple solution to do it.... and this is my proposal :

http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/Screenshots/image_preview_on_main_interface.png

I have make an experimental patch using QWidgetStack to embed into album
collection area a new image preview. You toogle between preview and album
view using F3.

The patch is here :

http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/misc.tarballs/preview.patch

The RAW preview use the -e dcraw option to load the embedded JPEG image in RAW
file (used to display a RAW picture on TV screen)

This patch separate Preview mode (F3) and the Edit mode (F4) on Image menu
entries. If you enable the ImageProperties sidebar, use the navigate button
to change the current image to preview.

This code is simple and not finalized. For example the code :

- don't use a cache to speed up rendering.
- don't use the embedded preview from JPEG/TIFF/PNG files available in
Makernote metadata. Canon, Nikon, Minolta, etc, record a small preview image
in Camera Settings. This is must be used instead to load the whole image. In
fact, Exiv2 need to be improved for that. i'm currently working with Andreas
about this subject.
- use QImage, not Dimg.
- don't load the preview using a separate thread to unfreeze ther GUI (Image
Editor do it). We can use a new KIO slave for that but not sure (Marcel, your
viewpoint ?)

Please don't ask me to create a very advanced new feature for 0.9.0. I have
not commited this code in svn because i'm not sure if this is the right way
to implement an image previewing. Also to finalize properlly this code, we
need more time, and i would delay this implementation later 0.9.0.

To patch your local source repository, use these command lines :

# cd digikam
# patch -p0 < preview.patch

Note : You need to re-install digiKam before to use this version because a new
menu item have been added in main interface (digikamrc file changed)

Please, give me a feedback. Thanks in advance