[Digikam-devel] RAW mode decoding quality

Gerhard Kulzer gerhard at kulzer.net
Wed Jun 14 21:31:01 BST 2006

On Wednesday 14 June 2006 23:15, Caulier Gilles wrote:
> Le Mardi 13 Juin 2006 10:33, Gerhard Kulzer a écrit :
> > Hello Paco and Gilles,
> > I probably missed some discussion on the subject during my absence (so
> > I'm back): it looks to me that the quality factor selection has
> > disappeared
>
> No, the raw quality setting is always here. It's more easy to understand an
> algorithm name instead a simple number (0, 2, or 3 - 1 is not used actually
> by dcraw)
>
> > from the settings menu and dcraw is now called with -q only
> > (rawloader.cpp).
> >
> > To demonstrate the bad results we get  with this simplification I've
> > composed an image with the same cutout from a raw file
> > a) decoded with the thumbnail extraction facility dcraw -e
>
> You trying to compare an embeded JPEG image used to display picture on a TV
> screen with a full quality RAW image (:=)))

Yes and no. What I wanted to demonstrate is that the -q option seems to give
the same resolution as the embedded thumbnail jpg (which is really
astonishing). All the 3 examples of my attachment are crops from the 100%
zoom sizes.

> > b) with digikam
> > c) with dcraw -q
 actually I ment dcraw -q 3 as written on the picture.

> It's the same, but unforget the ICC workflow in digiKam !
I don't understand what you want to say here.