[Digikam-devel] Possibly dangerous bug in 0.9.0-beta1

Rainer Krienke rainer at krienke.org
Sat Jul 29 15:56:55 BST 2006

Am Samstag, 29. Juli 2006 15:25 schrieb Marcel Wiesweg:

> Can anyone (except Rainer and me) verify this?
> Use "ipcs -m" to display Shared memory segments.

Your bug fix in svn works for me. There are no more 4MB shared memory segments
after digikam has terminated.

> As an intermediate solution, lost memory can be removed by ipcrm:
> for i in `ipcs -m|grep 4194304|awk '{print $2}'`; do ipcrm -m $i; done
>
> Assuming the problem can be verified:
> It will be >4 weeks till beta2, with Gilles on holidays. I cannot with good
> conscience say "go on and test beta1, it has great new features" to users,
> "but it will eat your memory".
>
> I am wondering if we should release a beta1-r1 or whatever which is
> beta1 + the fix for the problem.
> I need your viewpoints!

If more people can confirm this problem:
From my point of view it would be good to release another beta version since
this bug is really bad and might leave a bad taste for some people which have
only little meomory in their systems. This memory could get occupied
completely by digikam and could lead to a system freeze which might after all
lead to a loss of other unsaved data.

Rainer