[Digikam-devel] How to support the digikam team

Sebastian Röder sebastian.roeder at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Jan 29 15:13:36 GMT 2006

Sorry for my late reply, I have been busy the week.

> On Monday 23 January 2006 00:43, Sebastian R?der wrote:
> > Now I think about how I can help the team a little, cause there is not so
> > much man power. I am just starting to learn C++ (later QT / Kdevelop to
> > come) so on the coding front I might not be of any help atm.
>
> Do you know the Junior Jobs?
> These reports, marked with JJ: at bko, are especially for beginners.

Yes, I had a short look at them. A good starting point for me once my C++
skills improve ;-) Btw didn't found a kipi/digikam related one in JJ.

> > My knowledge in web administration is very limited, too but in case the
> > HP needs some support we could discuss whether I am of any help.
>
> Since the migration to drupal, there is no need anymore.

OK

> > What comes into my mind is managing bugs at bko, exspecialy finding dups
> > and such. This might be a good start to help you out and if you want we
> > can talk about it so I might help with coordination tasks.
>
> But this would be very helpful. If you think, jobs are easy to solve, you
> can mark them as JJs (or ask us before). And solve them later, when you
> better know C++/kde/qt ;-)
> Or try to reproduce  reported bugs, as we did yesterday with the konqi
> problem.

Yes I think this is the best point to start (while behind the scenes I learn
C++/qt/kdevelop). I will search for dups and try to reproduce reported
errors. And there is the great task to move bugs form digikam to kipi etc.

Maybe the next step would be helping out in making the tarballs (but I am in
no way experienced here). I would like to provide some nightlys some day (say
once a week) that make sure they are not terribly broken and to prevent
people from huge extragear downloads. That would hopefully lead to more user
feetback on "unstable" stuff and prevent grave mistakes to slip into the
releases. But thats a long way to go ...

Regards, Sebastian