[Digikam-devel] idea

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Fri Jan 13 08:30:32 GMT 2006

On Friday 13 January 2006 00:26, Murphy, James (Tech) wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I have been a linux user and networking consultant here in the New
> York New Jersey area for the past 8 years, For the past 1 year I
> have watched as distro after distro comes on the scene and still
> gnu/linux make no real inroads into the desktop market.Yet it is
> stable ,free, most of the applications are free and it is virtually
> imune to virus attacks and worms ect ect .... Until last night I was
> at a loss I happened to be at a friends house he baught a new apple
> ppc g5 a few months ago and was installing ilife on it last night,
> we decided to play with it this is what linux needs a
> multimedia/graphics suite just like this .

> I am contacting you as the main developer of digikam to see if you
> would be interested in some form of a project that would involve
> digikam ,a audio editing app a movie making app and a dvd making app
> similer to the ilife suite.all the apps are there in linux already
> but to pull them all together so that it would more or less be a drag
> and drop unified application would I think be the one thing that could
> swing the desktop market towards open source. I am  not a programmer

So you mean something along an integrating app like:

	koshell	-- kword, kspread, kpresenter ..
	kontact -- kmail, kaddressbook, korganizer ..

This sound interesting. I know some people like to work this
way, other prefer separate apps.  As we see from above KDE
as the tools to get both parties happy ;)

I'm a big fan of interoperation, ie., one app should use the
capabilities of another app instead of implementing it again.
IMHO time is better spend on 'working-together' apps than
duplicating a feature again.

But be warned, in my experience, because time is linited and
it's not easy to get coorporation between project going.  All
most all have a long TODO list they are personally interested
to see implemented.  Best find a new face that wants this
implemented and does the (starting) work.

> alas but I will front some money by way of hardware a website and
> documentaion .I believe I have enough of contacts within Ibm and
> novel and some possably in redhat to help out with some further
> financial help .THE AIM i THINK WOULD BE TO GET 1 INTEGRATED APP
> that would say be able to edit audio, add the audio into either
> a photo gallery or a video gallery and produce home video dvd's
> vcd's or picture slideshow vcd's or dvd'd.

As with almost all free software, time of developers is the most
needed resource.  I would suggest that you kontact the quanta
developers, before you invest money.  They have a sponsor for 2
(afaik) full time developers.  And quanta is progessing quite
fast with this model.

Finding the right people for this integration task is maybe the
most challanging task.  Creating an architecture for currently
independently developed task need tons of communication skill
to talk with the different projects and come up with some code,
that convinces the app developers of the advantages.

Gook luck,
Achim

                                      -- reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com