[Digikam-devel] Using exiv2: Plans for more exif infos for the user?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Mon Feb 20 12:51:46 GMT 2006

Le Lundi 20 Février 2006 13:42, Rainer Krienke a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I noticed the use of exiv2 in recent digikam svn version. Since I have a
> DSLR (Nikon D70) which makes extensive use of vendor tags that are not
> accessible by digikam up to now (including the current SVN version) I
> wonder if there are plans to let the user see more information provided by
> exiv2 than now? At the moment I help myself with a script that extracts the
> important tags using exiftool and writes them all together into the
> UserComment  tag. Not a really elegantly but for the moment the only way to
> see these tag values in digikam.
>
> If there are plans to let the user see more tags, I from my users point of
> view would like to to able to select which tags are important for me. So
> besides the "simple" and "total" view of tags a "user defined" view would
> be nice since not all tags are important for all users.   The total view
> already now contains so many infos that its hard to find the information
> you really want, on the other hand the simple view contains not all the
> information I want to look at. For example since I have a DSLR I make my
> photos with different lesens. The Nikon vendor tags (readable by exiv2)
> contain the information which lens was used for a certain photo. For me
> this is important, for a user with a compact camera without the ability to
> change lenses this would not be interesting at all of course. This is an
> example of why I think a users view would be helpful.
>
> Are there plans to go in this direction? If not already I would enter this
> as a wish into BKO.

Yes i have planed to do it, but later 0.9.0, because need to rewrite a widget
to display Exif info without using libKExif. Actually, digiKam extract Exif
using Exiv2 if possible and display it using libKexif. This is want mean that
libKexif will be removed in the future...

No need to do a new entry in B.K.O now, but you can remember me later 0.9.0
about to make a configurable Exif tags list to set the new Exif widget.

A need any time to do it, and other digiKam part need to be finalized and
tested before to start this task.

Any help welcome for that. If there are any volumnters in this room (:=)))...