[Digikam-devel] CMS beginner question

Thorsten Schnebeck schnebeck at pzh-gmbh.de
Thu Feb 9 12:12:59 GMT 2006

Am Donnerstag 09 Februar 2006 10:15 schrieb F.J.Cruz:
> El Miércoles, 8 de Febrero de 2006 23:11, Thorsten Schnebeck
escribió:
> > Am Mittwoch 08 Februar 2006 22:38 schrieb Francisco J. Cruz:
> > > SVN commit 507273 by fjcruz:
> >
> > Hi Francisco,
>
> Hi Thorsten,
>
> > a small question about ICC. I am a newbie when it comes to
> > cms practice but
>
> Me too!! :-)

:-)

> As probably you know, digiKam use Dave Coffin's dcraw
> application, and in his faq we can read this:
>
> "Why is 16-bit output dark / flattened / unreadable?
> If you want pretty pictures straight out of dcraw, stay with
> 8-bit output. 16-bit linear output is the best raw material for
> professional image editors such as  PhotoShop and CinePaint,
> but it's no good for most image viewers."

Yes, I know that. But how does CMS interfer with dynamic?
Shall I make a linear transformation to extent the 4k levels into
the 16k level or has CMS take place into this transformation.

Is there a correlation between an ICC-profile and the number of
colors or is profile processing level independent?

I do not understand what a camera profile makes?
I do not know how levels and colors come together?

> After you apply the icc profile, you have to:
>
> 1. Adjust wite balance, specially exposure.
> 2. Adjust curves, you can try some curve files from cinepaint
> ("point and shoot" and "white wedding" family can be good start
> points)

How can this manual adjustment be allowed when using an e.g.
colormetric system?

> > A side note: My original Samsung icm profiles occurs
> > unlabeled (no profile description) in digiKams profile
> > set-up.
> > Shall I mail you this profile so you can check how the
> > profile name is tagged?
>
> It's not necessary to do it, in fact there are a lot of
> profiles manufacturers that don't "fill" all the fields.

Ah! So, what about showing at least the filename when the "vendor
tag" is empty?

Bye

  Thorsten