[Digikam-devel] idea: "make digikam trustworthy" metabug

Thorsten Schnebeck thorsten.schnebeck at gmx.net
Sat Feb 4 23:24:32 GMT 2006

> Le Samedi 4 Février 2006 22:20, Sebastian Röder a écrit :
> > Issues like described in this bug report are from my point of view an
> > SERIOUS PROBLEM!

I would like to second Gilles.

First a comment to rotation and JPG: Every better photoviewer supports the
EXIF rotation flag. So if you use or can correct the rotation flag there is
no need to have an active rotation or a special jpeg lossless rotation (that
digiKam also supports, when it knows the filetype) at all.

The only thing you have to know when working with digiKam is, that when you
use the IE you work with raw picture data like in every other graphic editor
(e.g. gimp, krita, cinepaint, photoshop) The problem is not a limitation of
the IE - its the other way round. If the IE could only manipulate JPGs I
would not use digiKam any longer.

You use the wrong format - its simple as that. You have to understand that JPG
is an im- & export format. Do not use it in a complex workflow if you have
high quality demands. JPG as a lossy format is designed for transport - that
why you can find it in every camera and every photo web service. Its minimize
the level of storage and bandwidth. These are  expense factors for digicams
and web services. But when it come to quality you will not find jpeg any
longer, then RAW, Tiff and PNG rules.

But you really see a visual difference when watching JPEGs written with 99%
quality settings from the IE?

I also think there is one limitation with JPEG and IE: The quality setting
should be visible and adjustable in the "save as" dialog when using a lossy
file format. The simple save comand is dangerous. I hear too often that
people lose image details cause they used to use a 65%-75% default JPEG
quality setting for web and slideshows.

Bye

  Thorsten