[Digikam-devel] wiki for digikam (+kipi-plugins)?

Angelo Naselli anaselli at linux.it
Thu Dec 21 14:21:54 GMT 2006

Alle 15:02, giovedì 21 dicembre 2006, Arnd Baecker ha scritto:
> On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Angelo Naselli wrote:
> [...]
> > > One important point is to encourage users to contribute
> > > in an easy manner with their knowledge and experience.
> > > And yes, to avoid duplication, if things then get moved onto
> > > the main digikam pages or the digikam handook, even better!
> > So, why not to encourage them to contribute in a standard way?
>
> Encouraging people is always good ;-)
> But to be sure: what is the standard way?
> The contrib section http://www.digikam.org/?q=contrib
> does explain a couple of options which do cover a lot,
> but maybe not all.
>
> To give a concrete example: I am thinking of buying a GPS
> device. It turns out that this is not a trivial decision ;-) -
> there are only few which have a data-logger.
> Then there are various tests around comparing the accuracy etc. etc.
> Setting up a small page which collects the most
> interesting/reasonable/.... ones (Sony GPS-CS1, navigps/amaryllo
> triptracker/wintec WBT ... ) might be helpful.
>
> What would be a standard way to achieve this?
IMO, the standard way would be to subscribe to mailing list, ask for
a web (changer/user or whatelse) account and contribute in
documenting as we can do using a wiki, but sure that who wants to help
can see it work without spam or sure that there's (hopefully) no need
to check every minute someone has added "not conventional" pages,
let's say "OT".

I'm not against wiki, I really love it if used by users really involved.
But in my experience, in our lug, we had to remove a lot of "spammed" pages
and to roll back other ones. And note that no one but subscribed people can
work on our wiki.

If you believe in digikam (I'm quite sure kipi-plugins can't) has someone who
can maintain that, go on. And if someone wants to add kipi & co. info as well,
great. In such a case I hope someone can add (or link) that info into kipi site.

I'd like only to say be careful...

Angelo