[Digikam-devel] wiki for digikam (+kipi-plugins)?

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Thu Dec 21 13:38:18 GMT 2006

Hi,

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Fabien wrote:

[...]

> Yes, this is why I think we could first use the KDE wiki. If there's
> activity and interesting contributions, then we could move the wiki
> inside the digikam's website (if it's possible to host it there).
>
> > Apart from my previous objection wrt the changelog,
> > we could of course use this.
> > What I don't like are the many irrelevant links
> > (at least from a digikam centric point of view)
> > on the left hand side.
> >
> >>When a page is ok, we will add its content inside the digikam website.
> >
> > To me this approach seems too complicated. In particular,
> > there will always be pages which might need an update
> > from time to time ...
>
> That's not false, but what I often see is projects/websites that have
> duplicate informations or missing informations on one side (wiki or
> website). It's always a bit confusing when you have to look for
> informations for the same thing at 2 different places...
>
> If it's clearly separated, it's fine. Otherwise, it could be better to
> integrate new contents directly inside the website (new FAQ entries,
> etc...).

I agree.

> Anyway, I'd still propose to start first with the KDE wiki and to see a
> bit later if it's really useful to have our own wiki.

Alright, why not give that a try.

Still, we should discuss the organization a little bit:
Personal sub-pages presumably do not make sense there
(which otherwise would be a good place for new pages).
Therefore new stuff should go into a sub-area ("UnderConstruction").

So an organization could look like

- Main page
  - ...
  - DataBase
    - Script examples
  - Links
  - UnderConstruction
    - GPS devices
    - ColorManagement
    - ...

If things look polished enough, one could move them
from UnderConstruction into the top level.

One important point is to encourage users to contribute
in an easy manner with their knowledge and experience.
And yes, to avoid duplication, if things then get moved onto
the main digikam pages or the digikam handook, even better!

Best, Arnd