[Digikam-devel] JPEG2000 support...

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Fri Dec 1 06:33:25 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 29 November 2006 12:47, Fabien wrote:
> Hm, great!
> Is there any digital camera with native jpeg2000 support ?

I think no. Perhaps in the future.. To have take a look into Jasper source
code, i have seen that encoding algorithm require a lots of CPU ressources.
In fact more than JPEG.

I suspect 2 problems with JPEG 2000 algorithm :

- it require high CPU speed.
- The gain with low compression ratio is not sugnifiant than JPEG

This is why camera do not use it actually. Perhaps in the future the embeded
CPU used in DSC will be more powerfull for that.

It more easy by maker to implement a fast JPEG encoder or a RAW file format
(witch is uncompressed). First use in 8 bits color depth, second 16 bits.