[Digikam-devel] Proposal: Split docs into seperate tarballs for each language

Sero sero4linux at freenet.de
Wed Aug 9 13:22:49 BST 2006

Dear digikam team,

the digikam 0.9 release is quite close now with the beta1 out so I think it is
time to discuss one point regarding packaging of the final releases.

Background: I use Gentoo Linux (Distro that build everything from the source
tarballs instead of using rpms or debs). For the docs that came with digikam
0.8.2 one Gentoo dev decided to split the huge tarball for the docs into
seperate tarballs for every LANG, e.g. digikam-docs-DE.tar.bz2 etc.

This is great for people like me with slow/expansive internet connection but
it has the disadvantage off needing additional webspace for the Gentoo people
to host the slit tarballs and it is duplicated work somehow.

I generaly do not like when distros differ to much from upstream so my wish is
to find a solution for the problem upstream. Can you provide splitted  doc
tarballs for every language with the 0.9 release?

I see three possible problems here:
1. Someone has to adjust the ruby scripts in SVN that are used for the tarball
generation.
2. I don't know whether this splitting is agains a KDE guide line - if so I
don't know if you are willing to break such a guide line (should be possible
for an extragear app, no?).
3. The proposed change in tarball creation would need some testing with an
aditional betaX release and possibly delay the shipping of the final 0.9
release a little.

All in all I think it's nonetheless a good thing (TM) and not only Gentoo
Packagers would be happy.

Your comments please!

Regards,
Sero

P.S. I will provide Gentoo ebuilds for the beta1, soon! Stay tuned ...