[Digikam-devel] Just fun (:=)))

Thorsten Schnebeck thorsten.schnebeck at gmx.net
Sat Apr 8 02:10:23 BST 2006

Am Freitag 07 April 2006 22:57 schrieb Caulier Gilles:
> Hi all,
>
> Take a look into this blog link :
>
> http://liquidat.blogspot.com/2006/04/digikam-09-beta-1.html
>
> I love it (:=)))
Hi,

I switched last weekend to pre0.9 and I also really love what I see as I was
one of the advocators that digikam should enter professional feature level.
The step in 0.9 is again really, really remarkable! The whole developer team
can be proud of this program: 16Bit-IE, CMS, IPTC, RAW is for sure pro-level.

Ok, some stuff that starts now will not be ready for 0.9 like limitations in
the Metatag handling but the new base looks far better than the old libexif
one.

But I have also to keep an eye if digikam stays Mom-suitable! In this way I
think that two sidetabs and two splitter is too much in a standard
album-view. It would be good if some tabs and sidebar can be switched off, as
my Mom dont need it. Especially the navi-arrows in the right view in album
mode is "jumpy" between the differend sidebar-tabs and collidate with the two
navi-icons in the main icon bar.

I also think, the current camera-setup is not good. Better can be a wizard
based on HAL: "Digikam found a new camera-type device. Do you want to use it?
[configure] [cancel]" Especially the new media-browse in the camera menu
looks wrong. Better use the one, two mass-storage devices of the user in the
main camera list and no all partitions, nfs-shares, CD-ROM and burners in a
sub-menu. (Ok, you can use this sub-menu as a nice import function using
mount --bind ;-) )

Another UI bug is IMHO that it is not possible/wanted in album view to create
collecting selections when clicking consecutive in the outer photo frames but
still have to use CTRL+click. A toggle type selection is right. It would be
nice if such a UI change is tested during a beta and then ask the people if
they like it or not.

My personal long range feature wishlist is
- better metatag r/w support
- IE scripting and batch processing (to drop imitated imagemagick
kipi-modules)
- 8-bit selection layer for free-form selections
- 8-bit alpha layer for free-form pictures

I will write a larger test of 0.9 for ebv4linux.de based on a later beta and I
hope that we can finish this time a developer interview. Last try failed when
Renchi leaved the devel team.

P.S.
What about a poll on digikams website how many users use or want to use the
new pro-functions and how many stay with their 8bit JPGs

P.P.S.
remember the beginnings...?
http://web.archive.org/web/20021003170633/http://digikam.sourceforge.net/index.html

Have fun