[Digikam-devel] saving tags and rating into IPTC tags...

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Sat Apr 1 18:40:12 BST 2006

Thanks to all for your remarks. Look below for last changes in svn...

Le Jeudi 30 Mars 2006 01:39 PM, Gilles Caulier a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> digiKam 0.9.0-svn use now Exiv2 instead libkexif at all (note : today i
> have removed definitivly libkexif depency from digiKam core)
>
> New horizon can be done using Exiv2, especially to save new metadata in
> image.
>
> Many users have reported some request to save in image the Tags and Rating
> informations into photograph like it does into databasein both of database.
> This is can be done using IPTC metadata...
>
> About digiKam Tags, i propose to use "Iptc.Application2.Keywords". From
> www.iptc.org, the IPTC documentation (page 32) said :
>
> 2:25 Keywords :
>               Repeatable, maximum 64 octets, consisting of graphic char-
>               acters plus spaces.
>               Used to indicate specific information retrieval words.
>               Each keyword uses a single Keywords DataSet. Multiple key-
>               words use multiple Keywords DataSets.
>               It is expected that a provider of various types of data that
> are re-lated in subject matter uses the same keyword, enabling the
> re-ceiving system or subsystems to search across all types of data for
> related material.
>
>               Examples:
>                        "GRAND PRIX"
>                        "AUTO"

Done in svn. All Tags titles are stored in "Keywords" IPTC tag like a simple
strings list.

> About digiKam Ratings, i propose to use "Iptc.Application2.FixtureId". From
> www.iptc.org, the IPTC documentation (page 32) said :
>
> 2:22 Fixture
>                 Not repeatable, maximum 32 octets, consisting of graphic
> char- acters. Identifier Identifies objectdata that recurs often and
> predictably. Enables users to immediately find or recall such an object.
>                 Example:
>                          "EUROW EATHER"

Done in svn. Rating is stored in this tags like this : "digiKamRating=x" with
0 < x < 5. Let's me hear if this text is right for you...

Others changes are :

Comments is stored in IPTC "Caption" tag and "UserComments" Exif now.
Date & Time stamp are uptdated in Exif and Iptc tags.

Take a look in Metadata Setup dialog page for more informations.