[Digikam-devel] Writting digiKam handbook : Mass Storage devices question...

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at free.fr
Thu Sep 22 04:52:09 BST 2005

Hi all,

I'm working actually on a new digiKam handbook section named 'Supported
Digital Still Cameras'. This section is already in scn but need to be
polished a little. I want to make a clean part for newbies users about this
subject, especially with all 'Mass Storage Devices' supported by digiKam.

The Most common Mass Storage device are USB like... but i think that there are
2 others class of device witch can be supported by digiKam like this :

- FireWire (IEEE-1394 or i-link) digital still camera like Sigma SD10 for
example.
- BlueTooth (Wi-Fi) digital still camera like Nikon COOLPIX P1 and P2 for
example.

Typically, when a FireWire and BlueTooh camera is connected to a linuxbox, the
device is mounted automaticly like an USB Mass Storage device. To access of
this mount point by digiKam, the user need to set 'USB Mass Storage' camera
type in camera list from camera setup dialog and set the properly mount point
path used by the system.

If all is right, I think that 'USB Mass Storage' item in Camera Setup list
must be changed to 'Mass Storage
Device' (digikam/utilities/setup/cameraselection.cpp line 44) to make a more
generic label.

What do you think about ? Thanks in advance