[Digikam-devel] Patch for bug 111798

Grégory KOKANOSKY gregory.kokanosky at free.fr
Sat Sep 10 15:19:40 BST 2005

>> the attached patch fixes bug #111798 (Disable "Remove tag" entry from the
>> menu when none tag is assigned).

>Greg,

>Thanks for looking at this problem. The list of tags to remove has been put
>in
>a abouttoshow construction of the context menu. The abouttoshow is only
>called when the mouse hovers over the menuitem. So the list of subitems for
>this menu is only calculated whenever the mouse comes over that menu item.

Yep, I've seen this problem when i was working on this patch, but I did some
test.
I had to add up to 10 000 tags to my digikam db before I see some delay with
the context menu.
So I've considered that this fix was good enough.

Btw, during my test I encountered some limitation of the UI when dealing with
a huge number of tags. (http://ratm.homeip.net/~ratm/vrac/digikamtags.png)
Ok, maybe 10000 tags without sub-categories is a bit extreme :)

>This prevents that the calculation of all the tags will delay the entire
>context menu.

>Your patch re-introduces this behaviour, which is not good imho. Technically
>it seems not possible (without delaying showing the context menu) to disable
>this menu item directly when the contextmenu is shown.

Imho, this menu being enabled is a consistency and usability problem.

Hope we/you could find a solution to fix this issue.

Greg