[Digikam-devel] Image Properties SideBar progress (3) + New experimental ShowFoto layout...

Renchi Raju renchi.raju at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 14:59:22 BST 2005

Tom Albers wrote:
> Op woensdag 31 augustus 2005 07:43, schreef Renchi Raju:
>
>>I have to admit, I am a bit confused as to where we are going with
>>showfoto module. With the directory browser, its becoming an application
>>which is trying to be on the same level as other image browsers like
>>gwenview or showimg. At this point, I am not really sure where it fits
>>in with the vision of digikam as an image management software. Would it
>>be better to forking it off into a separate project?
>

> I think those applications already exists and that we should not go there.
> Having a lite weight show-a-foto app would be best imho, but I expressed my o
> earlier.

My concern is that we are currently spread out too thin, with a lot of
projects under our umbrella: libkexif, libkipi, kipi-plugins, digikam,
showfoto and digikamimageplugins. Maintenance of that many projects is
already a nightmare. The original plan for showfoto was to keep it
simple and compact and reuse most of the components from digikam. But if
it starts taking a life of its own as an image browser, it might be best
to take it out of the digikam module and put it in as a separate
project. Our primary focus is to make sure that the digikam module which
we ship is stable and complete and we have to ensure that everything
which is included with it meet the standards that we aim for.

renchi