[Digikam-devel] Improtant : creating 0.9.0 branch ?

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Thu Nov 17 19:36:50 GMT 2005

> Yes, Tom, this is want mean too that we reproduce the 0.7.x -> 0.8.x
> branchs way, and especially the branch merging when we will moving 0.9.0
> branch to trunk.
>
> To resume my idea :
>
> - '/trunk/extragear/graphics/digikam/' == 0.8.x serie with bugfix.
> - '/tags/digikam' == only tagging releases.
> - '/branches/digikam' == 0.9.0 unstable.
>
> If you have a better solution, please let's me hear.

I am no digikam developer and I really don't want to interfere with your
decisions, however I cannot resist to tell you how I would do this.

I understand you want one development line "0.9" and one stable bugfix line
"0.8.x".
Put up a strict policy that every bug that applies to 0.9 is fixed in 0.9 and
then immediately backported to 0.8.x. Every bug that does not apply to 0.9 is
only fixed in 0.8.x. No need to port anything from 0.8.x to 0.9.
Then no merge is needed, only copy or move.
The lines will diverge, and porting is something svn merge cannot do for you.

If you depend on your two-computer setup, I think it is okay if you create a
completely private branch to sync your computers for private, intermediate
changes - then you commit when you change your workplace and merge when you
would commit in a usual setup.
Remember that "svn merge <branch>" is evil (*) and "svn merge -r <revision of
last merge>:HEAD <branch>" is your friend.

(*) unless you in a long-lasting feature branch previously merged every change
committed after the branching to <working dir> to the <branch> and only then
do the "svn merge <branch>" to <working dir>

Marcel