[Digikam-devel] Creating 0.9.0 branch ?

Gilles CAULIER caulier.gilles at free.fr
Thu Nov 17 07:33:11 GMT 2005

Hi all,

We have already discuted about future svn branch to use on the future,
especially to use :

- '/trunk/extragear/graphics/digikam/' for future unstable 0.9.0 serie
- '/tags/digikam' for stable serie
- '/branches/digikam' unused.

Fix me if something is wrong here...

But, I have a _MAJOR_ problem on my computer_S_. I use 2 computers to develop
digikam &co.

- My laptop.
- My office computer.

The are large source code repository to sync between these computer, with 3
branchs :

- current (svn)
- 0.8.1 (unstable using image properties sidebar and RAW file support)
- 0.9.0 (unstable like 0.8.1 + Dimage implementation instead imlib2)

This situation is very complex and infernal to manage. I can't continue to
work like this without _LOST_ any codes somewhere !!!

To clean up future digikam developement (and my computers (:=)))), I propose
to create a new 0.9.0 branch (and only one) in svn with only my unstable
0.9.0 implementation and forget definitivly my 0.8.1 implementation for the
future. This is want mean that image properties sidebar and raw files support
on IE will coming only with 0.9.0 release ! 0.8.x will staying on trunk and
only bugs fix will be commited into.

Yes, Tom, this is want mean too that we reproduce the 0.7.x -> 0.8.x branchs
way, and especially the branch merging when we will moving 0.9.0 branch to
trunk.

To resume my idea :

- '/trunk/extragear/graphics/digikam/' == 0.8.x serie with bugfix.
- '/tags/digikam' == only tagging releases.
- '/branches/digikam' == 0.9.0 unstable.

If you have a better solution, please let's me hear.