[Digikam-devel] 0.8 branch

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 24 13:54:03 BST 2005

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Andreas Mair wrote:

>>> 5. Why did you restricted access to digikam KIO-slaves? That was one of
>>> the greatest features of digiKam! Easy access to photo collection from
>>> any KDE app.
>>
>> as i have said time and again, the reason why these kioslaves were
>> accessible from other apps was a side-effect and not intentional.
>
> What was the reason for restricting access?
> I had been hoping that someday I can tell Slideshow.kss (or whatever the
> Screensaver is named) to show me DigiKam images based on tags :(

i hope you are aware of how kioslave's internals, otherwise the rest of
this email is pure gibberish. to list files from a kioslave, you need to
implement slavebase::listDir(). Since moving to the db based listing, the
information sent to the frontend includes: the id of the image, id of the
album, name, date, size and maybe dimensions. since this is customized to
the needs of digikam, its possible to list files  fast without
transport of extra information. instead of using slavebase::listdir(),
slavebase::special() is used for doing the listing. now for the kioslave
to work with a generic kde frontend one needs to completely implement
slavebase::listdir() and send the info the frontend expects. And this part
is not implemented for digikamtags, digikamsearch and digikamdates
kioslave. now, the only reason to implement it would be to make it work
with other kde frontends and it doesn't give any additional benefit to
digikam at all.

renchi