[Digikam-devel] 0.8 branch

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 23 22:13:56 BST 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:

>>> 1. When started from Konsole all importing dialogs where hidden under
>>> Konsole.
>>>   Only Alt-Tab was revealing them.
>>
>> what windowmanager?
>
> kwin

now, that is really weird. the dialogs are standard kde dialogs and there
are no specific windowmanager hints set by us. so, it should behave like
any other dialog with a tendency to popup on top.

>>> 3. Not properly detected encoding and subsequently broken non-ASCII
>>> letters in comments.
>>
>> can you give details on this? where these comments already present in
>> the old database or did you add them new? what is your locale?
>
> Old database, pl_PL.

you have provided more detailed info in another email. i will reply to
that.

>>> 5. Why did you restricted access to digikam KIO-slaves? That was one
>>> of the greatest features of digiKam! Easy access to photo collection
>>> from any KDE app.
>>
>> as i have said time and again, the reason why these kioslaves were
>> accessible from other apps was a side-effect and not intentional.
>
> And this is one of the greatest feature of digiKam and reason I started
> to really use it and telling people about it. Closing possibility to
> reach photos in easy way from ANY KDE app through FileChooser and
> protocol is a big step back.

there were reasons behind why this feature (which is not an advertised
one) was taken away. the move to the album based listing warranted it.
now, it should still be possible to implement a unique digikam kioslave
which provides an entry point to albums,dates,tags,searches. but not on my
todo list currently. file a wishlist when 0.8 hits svn.

renchi