[Digikam-devel] Imaging Library

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 20 18:27:54 BST 2005

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Gilles Caulier wrote:

>> PNG (planned)
>
> PNG is very important. I have over 10.000 photographs in this format to my
> hosts computer.

as i said, file formats not natively recognized will be loaded by qt's
image loader. (the png files are loaded by qimage currently). The only
reason to write a native loader is to support metadata preservation and/or
16 bit image formats. ignoring esoteric formats like EXR; the only loaders
i can see of interest are: JPEG, TIFF, PNG, PPM.

> Waou ! I'm very impressionned. Have you used a dedicaced library to drive XMP
> metadata ?

the metadata is not decoded, but kept in raw binary format. so no
external library is needed

> Mosfet have give me a tarball of the future KImageEffect version 2
> implementation. Take a look here :
>
> http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/libkimageeffect2.tar.bz2

afaik, mosfet is not going to work on kde anymore. also, the DImage image
manipulation capabilities will deliberately be kept fairly small, only
what we need. rest of the needed function are to be handled by
digikam[core/image]plugins

renchi