[Digikam-devel] Imaging Library

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Mon Jun 20 10:41:32 BST 2005

Dnia niedziela 19 czerwiec 2005 23:15, Renchi Raju napisaƂ:
> as you all know, we have been using imlib2 library for the 0.7 series.
> we have had a fairly large number of bugreports because of imlib2 (not
> imlib2's fault, but because of kdelibs's handling of ltdl). In addition,
> some imlib2 bugreports I reported to upstream have gone unfixed for long
> time now.
>
> Also, we need to think about 16bit imaging support. this won't come from
> imlib2 and neither from qt. with qt4 there was hope of 16bit image
> support, but trolltech has made it clear that imaging apps forms only
> 0.1% of their customer base and they are not interested in providing
> custom support for them. so the only solution  I see (without depending
> on imagemagick) is to roll our own library.
>
> i have been working on a imaging library for digikam, its called DImage.
> it doesn't aim to be a complete imaging library; it uses QImage for
> rendering and for loading files which are not supported natively by it.
> some of the working/planned features:
>
> * Native Image Loaders, for some imageformats which are of interest to
> us: JPEG (complete), TIFF (a rudimentary one currently), PNG (planned),
> PPM (planned). for the rest qt's qimage is used.

Sounds cool. I have long time question: what about support for PNM? This
is default format of output from SANE. I am usually converting it to
tiff and than importing it to digiKam. Possibility to skip that step
would be good.

m.

Vim Universal Templates
CLEWN - http://clewn.sf.net